Monday, June 9, 2008

A midlife crisis?

I'm such a schmuck. Two days before we went on vacation-- that would be two weeks ago-- I bought a motorcycle. Not a month earlier I had poo-pooed the idea with Gary the Globetrotting Evangelist that I'd never risk endangering my life--not to mention the future of my children's image of my death--by riding a motorcycle. That went out the window for reasons that I'm not certain of at this point. Simply put, I want to conquer my fear of riding this machine on auto infested roads. Being a country boy I rode nobby-tired dirtbikes over the open spaces of my rural upbringing. City riding is more of a challenge-- a fear I want to put to rest. Too much of my life is controlled by fear of stuff..and people. I want to check this thing off my list.
Second of course is all the hullabaloo I hear from riders who speak of how it makes one feel to embrace the elements on two wheels-- words like freedom, relaxation and young-again come to mind. Thirdly, four dollar gas! Though many have told me I'm wasting my time pursuing the cost benefit by the time you buy the bike and all that goes with it.
I have yet to feel any of these presumed benefits but I did take a ride through McCutchanville today and the wind under my helmet and against my shirt gave me some sort of satisfaction. Right now I'm just struck with the "coolness" of it all. I haven't felt cool in a long time. Maybe that's why old guys like me do this thing. Maybe it's a ploy to keep me chasing the cool of my youth while forsaking the wisdom of age. I hope not. That would be a tremendous regret. So right now I'll settle for conquering a fear. That seems noble enough. I'm celebrating with a cup of Myron's Kilimanjaro blend!

2 comments:

Writer John said...

A motorcycle eh? Probably one of those "potato-potato" V-twins. Right? Just make sure you have a proper helmet. Not one of those "pretend" ones that look like eggshells. I dare you to go even further...a real full face design like your former NASCAR pals wear in their race cars. I am sure there will be some real, ahem, men who will scoff, but the effect of pavement at speed on facial skin is not pretty. Some who have ignored the consequences are literally laughing out of the other sides of their mouths. Other than that, ride on brother.

JJ

Dale Beaver said...

You are too confident of me John in the selection of bike--I have a 250 Honda Rebel. It looks like the classier bikes but only a baby. In terms of the helmet, I've tracked with you all along--a DOT-approved Fullmer.